Starbucks is a coffee lovers’ haven and an abode for those who don’t have time to cook at home and want something to eat on-the-go. When people voiced their interest, Starbucks listened and complied by debuting their now very popular sous vide egg bites.
In their new line of breakfast recipes, the cooking team of Starbucks chose sous vide cooking methods. The dish was an instant hit and home cooks everywhere are now putting their own spin on this breakfast sensation.
The secret behind the right taste and precision in texture of this recipe was the sous vide cooking method. Eggs are very sensitive when it comes to temperature changes. Since they are very rich in proteins, they have to be cooked at the right temperature. Proteins denature at a particular temperature and their texture and consistency changes in regard to that.
When cooked sous vide, there is no risk of overcooking the eggs as they are maintained at a constant temperature. However, with conventional cooking methods, this is not possible. Messing up the temperature even one or two degrees can change the consistency of the egg from soft to gelatinous.
Another advantage of cooking eggs this way is that you get the same result every single time. This is practically impossible with conventional cooking methods.
You can also prepare the eggs and freeze them. Whenever you want to eat them, you can heat them sous vide and they will not lose their texture or taste at all. Since eggs are a breakfast thing, they can be coupled with cheese or bacon to make a full meal which is high in nutrition and taste.
This also makes a great recipe for kids. The egg bites taste fresh and are also very filling. You can use any flavor combination you want and get perfectly cooked eggs in just an hour. Cooking sous vide at home means that you are also save a lot of money.
The money you spend on one egg at Starbucks can be sent on making a dozen eggs at home. Simply, refrigerate them for later use and munch on these delightful bites whenever you are hungry or for breakfast every morning. You can also customize the recipe according to your dietary needs. Whether you are on a Paleo diet or a Keto one, this recipe is easily customizable to suit your needs.
Egg Bites Recipe
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Temperature: 77.7 C/172 F
- 6 egg whites
- A quarter teaspoon of salt
- Half a cup cottage cheese
- ¼ cup cream cheese
- 2 green onions finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons of red pepper or capsicum (finely chopped and roasted)
- Before you start prepping the recipe, set your sous vide cooker to the temperature given above.
- Add all ingredients along with the egg whites in a blender. Do not add the red pepper yet.
- Blend at medium high until the mixture attains a smooth consistency.
- Pour the mixture easily into jars and add a teaspoon of red peppers to them. Use less if you prefer mild to hot.
- Add the same amount of onions in each jar.
- To make sure that everything mixes together well, use a butter knife to stir this mixture.
- Attach the lids to the jars. Do not seal it too tight since that can create air bubbles. You need to make sure that the air bubbles escape before you completely attach the canning lids.
- Immerse the jars in the hot water bath and let the eggs cook for 1 hour.
- After the eggs have cooked, take them out of the sous vide cooker and serve them in the jars. You can also use a knife to take the egg bites out of the jars.
- If you want a little color, invert the jars on a tray and sear the egg whites with a blow torch. Alternatively, you can also broil them to get the color. For broiling, use an oven-safe tray or a baking tray.
This recipe is extremely delicious and you can add bacon to it if you wish. This will give you extra flavor and also turn the bites into a complete meal. The kids will surely love it which is great since egg bites make a highly nutritious breakfast that will keep you going throughout the day. Cook them now and enjoy right away or refrigerate for savoring later.