The Anova Culinary A2.2-120V-US Sous Vide Precision Cooker is a revolutionary item to have in your kitchen. With its distinct features and technological working, this device lets you prepare restaurant quality food right in the comfort of your kitchen.
This is a cooking device that is aesthetically appealing and technologically savvy and an improvement over the first Anova model. With this cooking device you get something that performs flawlessly without breaking the bank.
This is a sleek looking design with a minimal yet modern display. There is just one start/stop button and you can change the temperature by spinning the illuminated blue mouse wheel.
This cooker comes with a very functional clamp design which is fully adjustable. So much so that you can even remove the clamp completely if you wish. The clamp offers steady securing in place and is usable with pots of varying thicknesses.
- Precision cooking
To make the cooking even better, the cooker allows precision control over temperature. The calibration can be done to the nearest 0.1 degrees to ensure that your food gets cooked at the best temperature. Temperature matters a lot as it determines how well the food cooks and how much moisture it will retain.
All you have to do is attach the device to your pot and control the setting from your phone. There are two ways of doing this. You can either control the cooking environment manually or use the Anova culinary app. This app is available for all phones, whether iOS or Android.
- Heater and circulator
This Bluetooth model features an 800W heater and a directional pump that has 360 degree circulation. This allows the water bath to maintain precise temperatures during the entire cooking duration. The circulator is definitely much quieter than many other similar models.
The temperature range of cooking for the cooker is from 77 Fahrenheit to 210 Fahrenheit. The directional pump works in 360 degrees and the capacity of the tank is about 15 to 19 litres. You can set a timer of up to 99 hours on this cooker.
The manufacturers are quite confident about their product. This is why they offer a one year money-back guarantee so that customers can return the cooker if they are not satisfied with it.
The biggest bump with this Anova model comes with its connectivity features. The app allows device monitoring to check on your cooking, including its progress and temperature. The app lets you adjust temperature settings, push notifications, and calibration.
Anova Culinary App
The Anova App is compatible with any Anova cooker that has Bluetooth or Wi-Fi. It connects to the Wi-Fi models using Bluetooth and you can choose your preferred wireless network for using the app. The Wi-Fi models are also compatible with Amazon Alexa devices. So if you have Alexa at home, using this cooker will become even easier. You can control what happens in your kitchen while sitting in the living room.
The Wi-Fi models also work with Google Home so you can expect the cooker to work with almost all intelligence systems. When you are in range of the cooker and your device is connected, you can control different things:
- You can control the time and duration of cooking. For recipes that have a precise cooking time, this feature is very helpful.
- You can also set the temperature at which you want to cook. Switch between Celsius and Fahrenheit, whichever suits you.
If you are in need of new recipes, this app also gives you access to a plethora of healthy and delicious recipes. These recipes come from TV personalities, authors of cookbooks and food editors. You will have access to recipes from award-winning chefs from around the world.
The automatic system makes it really easy for the newbies to use the device. If you want to cook a particular recipe, just put the ingredients in the cooker and then select the recipe. Your cooker will automatically be set to the best temperature and timing for that recipe.
For your personal recipes, you can set the conditions. If you have taken recipes from the internet, use their conditions. Do not worry about the food getting overcooked or burnt even if you are not in the kitchen at all times. The app will send you push notifications if your pot has reached your desired temperature and when the timer is done. So even if you’re not in the kitchen, you will be notified about what is happening to your food.
You can also share recipes from the app with your friends and cook together. To make cooking easier, there are also video tutorials that teach you everything from searing to cooking steaks. With the step by step guides and pre-set conditions, everyone can cook anything.
The Bluetooth range for the app is 33 feet. So you can be anywhere in the house and still control your food settings. There is no need to stand in the kitchen for hours in the heat anymore. Enjoy your favourite show or spend time with your family while your food cooks. You do not have to worry about overcooking anymore because your food is being cooked in a controlled setting.
Here are some care tips for your cooker:
- There is a fill line in the cooker. Do not fill water above that line.
- The detachable part of the cooker with the disc and the skirt can be washed in the dish washer.
- To clean the cooker from the inside, use a damp cloth.
Anova Precision Cooker 4.0 vs Anova Precision Cooker Nano
The Anova Precision Cooker 4.0 is the older model from the company while Anova Precision Cooker Nano is the latest one. Some of the features in both these cookers are the same while others may vary. The first thing most customers look at is the price tag. The price for 4.0 is around the $160 mark while the price for Nano has not been released yet. The price will be updated on the official Anova website once it is finalized.
The Precision 4.0 supports both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth while the Nano model only supports Bluetooth 4.2.
As the name suggests, the Nano is smaller in size measuring up to 12.8 inches while the 4.0 is a decent 14.75 inches. Both cookers can be precisely calibrated to the tenth of a degree.
Being smaller, the Nano requires energy input of 700 Watts while the 4.0 needs 900 Watts. As far as the app is concerned, it is compatible with both models and with both cookers, you can have access to over a thousand recipes and their cooking timing/temp.
There is no clear set rule to which cooker is better or which one should be bought. It all depends on your personal preference. If you live alone or you have a family of just two, you can get the Nano cooker as it is smaller.
On the other hand, larger families can go with the 4.0 as it is larger and has larger capacity for water and food. It is merely the size and energy input that differs in both the models. Otherwise, the performance of both the cookers is similar and they both have the benefit of a supporting app.
The cost for Anova Culinary A2.2-120V-US Sous Vide Precision Cooker is around $80. You can also get used models from Amazon. The shipping charges are $6.99. Simply place an order on Amazon and you will get the cooker delivered to your doorstep. The price for used models starts from $65 so it falls in the affordable range.
The price range for newer models from the company is a little higher. You just have to look at the specifications and decide if a particular model is worth your money.
The Anova Culinary A2.2-120V-US Sous Vide Precision Cooker comes with a lot of benefits. It has revolutionized the way cooking is done.
- Precision Cooking: The cooker allows you to cook your food precisely. You can cook different recipes at the exact temperature to a calibration of 0.1o Also, you can set the duration of cooking so that your food is cooked perfectly.
- Convenient: The cooker allows for convenient cooking. Gone are the days when you had to stand in the hot kitchen waiting for your food to cook. Now, you can be anywhere in the house or in front of your TV in the living room while the food cooks.
- Guarantee: The company offers a 12 month money back guarantee which is a welcome feature. The cooker will not rest in your kitchen useless if you find it unsatisfactory. You can return it and get your money back.
- Cost effective unit: Given its features and utility this Anova model is for sous vide cooks on a budget. It offers affordability and utility into one effective unit.
- App: The supporting app is probably the biggest pro of this cooker. The app lets you adjust the time and duration of cooking. You can also enjoy the huge collection of award-winning recipes.
- Compact unit: The Anova A2.2 is a compact and easy to store unit.
Anova Culinary A2.2-120V-US Sous Vide Precision Cooker does make your life easier but it has a few cons too.
- Technicality: If you are someone who is comfortable with the traditional methods of cooking, you might find it a bit hard to adjust to the app. Tech novices can have a hard time understanding the app and controlling mechanism for the cooker.
- App: Customer reviews suggest that the users find the app updated to be a con of the cooker too. The recent update requires the customers to login to use the cooker. This seems pretty unnecessary and unreasonable. Also, the app might have bugs every now and then that need to be fixed via updates.
- Short power cord: This Anova model needs to be plugged into an outlet but comes with a fairly short power cord. This may limit your choices of where to place your container.
- No accessories include: This model does not comes with any additional accessories.
The cooker is not exactly an unknown culinary device. Many biggies have talked about it, including Forbes. According to the Forbes reviewer, if your friends are serving you the perfect steak, it is this cooker that is doing the job. The New York Times author who reviewed the cooker said that it is his favourite new culinary thing.
Other customers like the cooker’s vast potential to handle anything from different cuts of meat, to eggs, vegetables and even desserts. They see it as a budget friendly way of getting quality cooked meals at home.
The biggest point of concern raised by many customers is not the cooker’s performance but the app’s requirement to login before use. This is seen as unnecessary and very inconvenient by users. Some even consider this as an intrusion of privacy.
The Anova Culinary A2.2-120V-US Sous Vide Precision Cooker has pleased many customers, as is evident from the reviews and rating. Equipped with latest technology, this cooker is a good addition to your kitchen supplies. The company is always eager to help in case of any query which is another bonus. Overall, the precision cooker will let you enjoy the taste of restaurants at home, every day. Read our article on the Joule Immersion Circulator to compare.
Sous Vide Reviews: